Let’s get it started in here
They say the journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the first step. So here is my recommended 1st steps.
- Obtain support from significant other. You’re going to be putting some time into this, make sure your significant other is on board with your reduction in time with them. If you don’t you may hear whining and complaining every time you head out the door to train.
- Educate yourself on proper hydration/nutrition first. You wouldn’t drive a car without knowing what type of gas to put in. Same concept applies to your body.
- Begin getting the proper gear you’ll need. Set a budget here and stick to it. However I always buy the best I can afford to avoid the “higher price of the lowest cost”. AKA cheap shit breaks and you’ll have to buy it twice.
- Pick your first race. Hint: Start short distance and work your way up if that’s what you want to do.
- Design a training plan that fits your lifestyle. There are an overwhelming amount of training plans and TriClubs etc to join. The biggest factors are ability, age and time commitments. I see a lot of training plans that don’t take into account age appropriate rest, time constraints, family commitments, neglect the importance of stretching, body balance, Yoga, and weight training etc. BUYER BEWARE! Things that can be sacrified to allow time for training are video games, television shows, excess sleep, late night partying, Farmville, etc
- Can’t swim? Don’t let a small detail like not being able to swim stop you. There are an endless supply of resources available to help you.
- Get to work