In my opinion, swimming is our Achilles heel in this sport. Regardless of ethnicity, most triathletes struggle with the swim portion of the sport and we black folks seem to struggle even more. I’ve witnessed the struggle at races and I’ve experienced the struggle (and panic) personally. That being said, I’m here to tell you that you can become a good or even great swimmer. It all depends on how much time you are willing to spend to achieve the results you desire.
One thing I love about swimming is it gives me butterflies and makes me feel like superman when I finish a swim. There are many great resources on the Internet. There are also quite a few resources that will lead you down the wrong path. I’ve learned a lot of what I know about swimming through trial and error (mostly error). I’ve also spent many many hours scouring the Internet for the best swimming resources available. Hopefully this short list of great resources will get you going in the right direction.
- Total Immersion Good place to start on a budget with no swim experience. Will get you swimming in no time. I ordered the DVD’s and took two sessions at their facility in New York.
- http://www.aquaticedge.org/ A true legend and an absolute sweetheart of a person (watch her YouTube videos)
- http://www.swimsmooth.com/ Great all around educational website
- http://tower26.com/ absolutely love this guy’s stuff!! Very funny too! (after you have the basics of swimming) Great YouTube videos too!
- Equipment Reviews
- Equipment to purchase
- Technical jargon once you really start training